Permits and Planning

Are you planning development work near a watershed, river, stream, wetland, slope, or shoreline?
You may require a permit from the Conservation Authority.

Under the Conservation Authorities Act, the MRCA is responsible for regulating development in these areas. Although the focus of this program is on the protection of lives and property from flooding and erosion, it also protects the natural features of our watershed and ecosystem.

Development is defined as:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind, as defined under the Ontario Building Code, and including retaining walls, docks and pools;
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure;
  • site grading; or
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere.

The MRCA provides property inquiry services, support for drinking water source protection and planning reviews including: severance applications, plans for subdivision, official plans, zoning bylaws, drainage reports and environmental assessments.

Contact us to discuss your plans prior to any site grading and placing, dumping, or removing any material.

NOTE: An MRCA permit does not replace building permits, or any other permits issued by municipal offices and other government agencies.